Dune Buggies, KIT Vehicles and Customer Motorcycles

Dune Buggies

Dune Buggies are light vehicles having oversized tires designed for recreational and highway use. Dune Buggies are not allowed to be titled and registered unless they meet certain standards set by the Kentucky Statutes. Owner/buyer will need a handwritten inspection on letterhead stating the dune buggy complies with Chapter 189 of the Kentucky Statutes.


The following KRS must be met for any vehicle to be operated on the highway:

  • KRS 189.020- requires every vehicle be equipped as to make the minimum of noise, smoke or other nuisance
  • KRS 189.040- requires every vehicle be equipped with at least two headlamps, one on each side of the vehicle. Also mandates the lamps be arranged that the driver may control the selection between distribution of lights projected at different elevations-The uppermost beam aimed to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 ft, and the lowermost beam be aimed to reveal a distance of at least 100 ft., and that every vehicle which has multiple-beam road lighting equipment be equipped with a beam indicator showing the driver when the uppermost beam is being used.
  • KRS 189.050- requires that all vehicles shall display at the rear a red light visible when lighted for at least 500 feet. A red reflector meeting the requirements may be used in lieu of a red light.
  • KRS 189.080- requires every motor vehicle to be equipped with a horn or other device capable of making a abrupt sound sufficiently loud to be heard under all ordinary traffic conditions
  • KRS 189.090-This KRS requires that motor vehicles to have brakes adequate to control the movements of and to stop and hold the vehicle. There shall be two separate means of applying the brakes as described in KRS 189.090 (2) and the brakes must function in accordance with KRS 189.090 (3).
  • KRS 189.110- requires the windows to be free from obstructions and a device for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield. This windshield device is to be controlled by the operator of the vehicle.
  • KRS 189.120- requires that safety glass be used in a vehicle’s windshield and door windows.
  • KRS 189.125- requires the front seats of all passenger vehicles have adequate anchors or attachments secured to all floor and/or sides of the rear of the seat to which seat belts may be secured.
  • KRS 189.130- states that motor vehicles shall be equipped with a mirror so located and adjusted as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle. The motor vehicle shall also be equipped with suitable and sufficient mufflers, which comply with the noise requirements of KRS Chapter 224.
  • KRS 189.190(5) - states that no vehicle shall be operated upon any highway unless it is so constructed as to prevent its contents from escaping. In addition, states that no solid rubber or rubber-compounded tire on any vehicles shall be less than one inch thick, measured from the steel flange of the rim.
  • KRS 189.205- prohibits the operation of any vehicle on a highway on which any tire has been re-grooved or re-cut.
  • KRS 189.210- limits the weight of a motor vehicle, other than a motor truck or semi-trailer truck, to fifteen tons, subject to the provisions of KRS 189.210(2).


The following documents and information are also required: (All forms highlighted in blue are downloadable simply by clicking on them and other highlighted words will direct you to that specified section.)

  • Owner must apply for a Kentucky Assigned Vehicle Identification Number if the vehicle does not have one already assigned to it (if VIN assigned to vehicle, owner must request VIN Removal)


Procedures after VIN Plate Issued:

  • Once the application has been approved, the Assigned Vehicle Identification Number must be riveted to the dune buggy
  • Application for Kentucky Certificate/Registration (TC96-182) must be completed. Form must be signed by all sellers and buyers and their signatures’ notarized. Persons that have power of attorney for the seller or buyer/owner(s) may sign, but a copy of the power of attorney must be submitted with the application. A power of attorney cannot sign for the seller and buyer if the vehicle is less than ten years old. If the County Clerk’s staff notarizes signatures, identification must be presented. Note-Titles that contain AND (instead of OR) or do not have a designation between names of owners require the signatures of all owners. Titles that contain OR or AND/OR only require the signature of one owner.
  • Certified Sheriff’s inspection of vehicle verifying Vehicle Identification Number and mileage of vehicle. (Sheriff’s inspection section is on the Application for Kentucky Certificate/Registration (TC96-182). SeeSheriff’s inspectionfor further information.
  • Social Security Number for each party appearing on the title or Federal ID Number for companies.
  • All liens must be satisfied before applying for a title only. Termination statement must be completed by the financial institution and signed, then submitted to the clerk.
  • If a loan was needed for the purchase of the vehicle, the buyer needs to indicate this on theApplication for Kentucky Certificate/Registration (TC96-182). A pending lien will be noted and the buyer will be given a goldenrod copy of the registration to present to the lending institution. If the lending institution is located in another state the county clerk’s office will record the lien. Otherwise, the lending institution will use the goldenrod copy and Title Lien Statement to record the lien.
  • The vehicle would then need to go through the Rebuilt Section for processing. Please see the Rebuilt Vehicle section for further information.
  • Bullitt County Clerk’s Office accepts Cash, Personal Check, Money Order or Certified Check. The office does accept Visa, MasterCard and Debit. However, to process using a Credit/Debit Card, an additional processing fee is charged. Contact county clerk’s office for details. Credit/Debit Cards cannot be used over the phone.  


Title Fee$9.00
Registration FeeNone
Lien Filing Fee (if applicable)$22.00 or $24.00
Usage TaxContact Clerk’s Office

NOTE-To file a lien the amount is $22.00, however, if the debtor does not file the lien within 20 days of its application, a penalty of $2.00 is assessed by the County Clerk. All liens not filed within 20 days will be $24.00.

Back to Top

Kit Vehicles

There are two different types of Kit Vehicles. One purchased as a kit with all brand new parts and the other type is an invoice kit.

Brand New Kit

The first kit car is a kit an individual can purchase that contains all of the brand new components to construct a vehicle from scratch. These kits will contain the following documents that the customer will provide to the County Clerk at time of title and registration:

  • MSO or C of O for the Kit
  • Purchase receipt for Kit and all components

The customer will also be required to have a Sheriff’s inspection on the Application for Kentucky Certificate/Registration (TC96-182).

Invoice Kit

If the customer does not construct the vehicle from brand new parts with which there is a MSO or C of O and they just have original invoices for parts they will need the following to obtain a Rebuilt Title:

Once the customer has the following they will bring the above documents to the County Clerk for further paperwork. Then the customer will have to go through the Rebuilt Vehicle section with Frankfort to be approved to title and register the vehicle.   


Title Fee $9.00
Registration Fee Contact Clerk's Office
Lien Filing Fee (if applicable) $22.00 or $24.00
Usage Tax Contact Clerk’s Office

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Back to Top

Custom Motorcycles

The following documents are required for Customer Motorcycles constructed with "brand new" parts. (If the motorcycle is constructed of new AND used parts the customer will have to apply through the Rebuilt Vehicle section with Frankfort. They may also need to apply for a VIN Plate (Kentucky Assigned Idenitification Number) and then obtain Sheriff’s inspection.)

For Brand New Parts:


Title Fee $9.00
Registration Fee Contact Clerk's Office
Lien Filing Fee (if applicable) $22.00 or $24.00
Usage Tax Contact Clerk’s Office