Creditor In Possession
Applications for titling a vehicle left for repairs or vehicles towed (owner must have requested tow) on which a debt is owed (such as unclaimed repaired vehicle) are referred to as Creditor In Possession.
The following documents/requirements and information is required: (All forms highlighted in blue are downloadable simply by clicking on them and other highlighted words will direct you to that specified section.)
- Creditor possesses the vehicle
- Debt on the vehicle must have been owed for more than thirty days
- A certified letter must be sent to the owner(s) of record and any known lienholder(s).
- Letters should state person’s name, address and phone number and it must clearly state the intentions to obtain title to said vehicle. If the owner(s) or lienholder(s) objects, the process ends
- An ad in the form of legal notice has to run two times within a seven-day period in a statewide newspaper (i.e. Lexington Herald or Courier Journal). Fourteen days must be allowed after last legal notice runs before applying for a title. Information to be included in the legal notice:
- Vehicle Year
- Vehicle Make
- Vehicle Identification Number
- The person’s intention to obtain title to the vehicle unless the owner(s) or lienholder(s) object in writing within fourteen days of last publication of the ad
- The charges for the vehicle must be for the vehicle only, no other debt owed.
- Creditor In Possession Form TC96-157 must be completed
- Application for Title/Registration (VTR Vehicle Transaction Record-Form # TC96-182) must be completed.
- Certified receipts of letters to registered owner(s) and lienholder(s)
- Copy of invoice or letter from publications verifying:
- Dates of legal notice ran
- Original Newspaper displaying notice
- Copy of receipt or debt owned
- Certified Sheriff’s inspection of vehicle verifying Vehicle Identification Number and mileage. (Sheriff’s inspection section is on the Application for Title/Registration (VTR Vehicle Transaction Record-Form # TC96-182). See Sheriff Inspection for further information.
- Buyer must have Commonwealth of Kentucky proof of insurance to complete transfer. All insurance cards must have the insurance company’s five-digit NAIC number listed on the card. The effective date on the insurance card cannot be more than 45 days prior to the date of completing the transaction in our office. Insurance is not required for Title Only Transfers. See Title Only Transfers for more information.
- All property taxes that are delinquent must be paid in full
- Speed titles are not allowed
- Bullitt County Clerk’s Office accepts Cash, Personal Check, Money Order or Certified Check. The office does accept Visa, MasterCard and Debit. However, to process using a Credit/Debit Card, an additional processing fee is charged. Contact county clerk’s office for details. Credit/Debit Cards cannot be used over the phone.
Title Fee: $9.00
Registration Fee: Contact clerk’s office