Apportioned Certificate Information
The operator of an apportionable vehicle who operates in more than one licensing jurisdiction shall apply for apportioned registration of his/her fleet in those jurisdictions in which he/she operates and which are members of the International Registration Plan, unless he/she purchases a trip permit from a jurisdiction for each trip into the jurisdiction. A vehicle, or combination of power unit and trailer having a gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or less or two axle vehicles may be apportioned at the option of the registrant. If Kentucky is the base jurisdiction for an operator of an apportionable vehicle, he shall apply for his apportioned registration in Kentucky.
“Apportionable vehicle” means any vehicle, except a recreational vehicle, vehicle displaying a restricted plate, a city pickup and delivery vehicle, a bus used in the transportation of a chartered party, or a government-owned vehicle that:
- Is used or intended for use in two or more jurisdictions that allocate or proportionally register vehicles;
- Is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property; and
- Is a power unit having a gross weight or registered gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds;
- Is a power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight; or
- Is used in combination and the weight of the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
- “Base jurisdiction” means the state where:
- The registrant has an established place of business;
- Mileage is accrued by the registrant's fleet; and
- Operational records of the fleet are maintained or can be made available for audit.
- “Established place of business” means a physical structure:
- Owned, leased, or rented by the fleet registrant;
- Designated by a street number or road location;
- Open during normal business hours;
- In which is located:
- A telephone publicly listed in the name of the registrant;
- A person conducting the fleet registrant's business; and
- The operational records of the fleet or where the records are made available for audit.
- “Fleet” means one (1) or more apportionable vehicles.
- “International registration plan” or “IRP” means a registration reciprocity agreement among the states of the United States and provinces of Canada providing for payment of license fees on the basis of total distance operated in all jurisdictions.
- “Jurisdiction” means a state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, or a state, province, or territory of a country.
- “Operational records” means source documents supporting miles traveled in each jurisdiction and total miles traveled such as fuel reports, trip sheets, and logs.
The applicant shall apply to the appropriate county clerk for a certificate of apportioned registration for each vehicle in the fleet and any other vehicle to be apportioned. A vehicle owned by a non-Kentucky registrant that is properly titled in a foreign jurisdiction being leased to a Kentucky based-motor carrier may be registered in the name of the Kentucky based-motor carrier with a copy of the foreign title, a copy of the lease agreement and a copy of the owner's commercial driver's license.
The following documents are required by the clerk’s office:
- Apportioned Certificate of registration from previous year
- Proof of Insurance-All insurance cards must have the insurance company’s five-digit NAIC number listed on the card. The effective date on the insurance card cannot be more than 45 days prior to the date of completing the transaction in our office.
- Must know the weight of the apportioned plate that will be issued to the vehicle
- Payment for registration and property tax fees-Bullitt County Clerk’s Office accepts Cash, Personal Check, Money Order or Certified Check. The office does accept Visa, MasterCard and Debit. However, to process using a Credit/Debit Card, an additional processing fee is charged. Contact county clerk’s office for details. Credit/Debit Cards cannot be used over the phone.
NOTE-Any further questions regarding apportioned vehicles can be answered by contacting the Motor Carriers Department at (502) 564-4540, or by visiting the IRP FAQ’s Website, http://dmc.kytc.ky.gov/irp/faqs_irp.htm.